The Research Study Report (RSR)
The RSR (Research Study Report) constitutes 20% (100 marks) of the final grade for the Leaving Certificate.
A topic must be chosen by the student, researched through verified sources and presented in the form of an ‘Extended Essay’ in the RSR Booklet for submission in the Leaving Cert year.
An end date up to and including 1993 applies in the case of Ireland, and 1992 for Europe and the wider world.
Word count : HL 1200-1500 words
OL 600-800 words
The RSR is made up of four constituent parts:
Choosing a Subject
Some Examples of RSR choices
USEFUL LINKS FOR RESEARCH
TIP: Google Books Enter key terms relating to your research topic into the google books search engine. Go into the 'Advanced Search' option and click 'full view only'. You might find relevant books that are free to view.
HOW TO CITE A SOURCE
- Cite fully three sources you intend to use .
- Number your sources 1,2,3 - Don`t evaluate Wikipedia or Historical fiction
- Books : Author, Title, Publisher, Date of Publication, Place of Publication i.e Stradling, R.A., `The Irish and the Spanish Civil War`, Mandolin, 1999, Manchester
- Website: Full URL address must be given-must bring the examiner to the site http://www.corkarchives.ie/collections/digitisedresources/irish_volunteers_cork_list_surnam .pdf Date accessed or downloaded, Title of article, Name of author, Date written
- Interviews: Name of person, participants in interview, location of interview, date of interview/s, subject of interview, how interview was conducted i.e. notes/tape
- Newspaper articles: Name of newspaper, name of journalist if available, Heading of article, date of article, page number if available
- TV documentary: Title, TV Channel, Director, Scriptwriter, Narrator, Date shown.